As we age, many of us have to suffer some kind of age related diseases. Arthritis is one of the aging diseased which turns into osteoarthritis a painful condition called "wear and tear". Symptoms of osteoarthritis include joint pain and stiffness. Osteoarthritis may affect any joint, including the hand, wrist, neck, back, knee, and hip. Osteoarthritis treatment depends on the joint but often includes medication and exercise.
Treatment of osteoarthritis with regular drugs and side effects:
The first drug generally used in the treatment of osteoarthritis is aspirin. It is often quite effective in relieving both the pain and inflammation. One side effect of aspirin and other (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)NSAIDs that is often not mentioned is their inhibition of cartilage repair and acceleration of cartilage destruction. Since osteoarthritis is caused by a degeneration of cartilage it appears that while NSAIDs are fairly effective in suppressing the symptoms, they possibly worsen the condition by inhibiting cartilage formation and accelerating cartilage destruction. This has been upheld in studies which have shown that NSAIDs use is associated with acceleration of osteoarthritis and increased joint destruction. Simply stated, aspirin and other NSAIDs appear to suppress the symptoms by accelerate the progression of osteoarthritis. Their use should be avoided.
Five natural remedies for pain relief in osteoarthritis:
1) Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables: Avocado/soybean unsaponifiables, an extract made from avocado and soybean oils, can improve the pain and stiffness of knee and hip osteoarthritis and reduce the need for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
2) Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate: A naturally occurring substance found in high concentrations in joint structures appears to be nature's best remedy for osteoarthritis. This compound is glucosamine. Glucosamine is responsible for stimulating the manufacture of substances necessary for joint repair.
Numerous double-blind studies have shown glucosamine sulfate to yield as good as or even better results compared to NSAIDs in relieving the pain and inflammation of osteoarthritis. Glucosamine sulfate not only improves the symptoms including pain, it also helps the body repair damaged joints.
(Glucosamine, also called chitosamine, is a natural substance that is found in the covering of shellfish)
You can get this natural remedy with the name of 'glucosamine chondroitin' at many stores around your area.
3) Acupuncture: The World Health Organization has identified more than 40 conditions that acupuncture can treat, including osteoarthritis.
4) Yoga: It is safe and effective for people with osteoarthritis. Yoga's gentle movements can keep build strength, flexibility, and balance and reduce arthritis pain and stiffness.
5) Massage Therapy: Massage can help to relieve muscle tension associated with osteoarthritis. Joint pain can cause surrounding muscles to become tense. Massage boosts circulation to the affected joint, which decreases joint stiffness and promotes cartilage repair.
Note: If you are allergic to shellfish, do not take glucosamine unless you have discussed it with your doctor. Some glucosamine is made from shellfish covering.
* 'Osteoarthritis Pain Relief Remedies'
* A very useful article about 'Natural treatment for osteoarthritis' at 'Ayurvedic cure.com'
Quotes are a way of giving ourselves motivation and encouragement. Here are some motivational quotes, which may give you an understanding...
There is no scientific or medical study regarding the harmful or good effects of drinking ice cold water, but in alternative therapies like ...
With the symptoms of a stiff painful neck, my shoulder pain was getting severe with tingling and numbness feeling in my arms. I was feeling ...
I read a lot and although I didn't study psychology as a subject at college, but I like to read and learn about self help, self improvem...
There are many reasons behind selection of organic or natural products. There is no exception when it comes to milk and milk products. It is...
Auricular therapy (Acupressure therapy of the ear region) has been used successfully for Smoking cessation. Auriculotherapy is thought to be...
Tongue twisters are the words or phrases in repeated manner for the practice of specific letters or sounds. These tongue exercises are meant...
Definition of net addiction: Internet addiction is currently classified by mental health professionals as an Obsessive Compulsive Disorde...