It is also called "Leg Three Miles" because it is said that if you are so tired you can no longer walk, if you stimulate this point you will be able to walk another three miles.
To locate ST 36 find the bump on your bone about one inch below the knee. This bump is called the tibial tuberosity.
Benefits of applying acupressure on St 36 for healing:
- It is the most effective point to rejuvenate the ch'i and blood. It strengthens the whole body, especially the immune system; tones the muscles and aids digestion as well as relieves fatigue.
- It is particularly useful in children or adults with poor digestion, which can often be the root cause of chronic illnesses such as ear infections.
- This is the 36th point on the stomach meridian. It balances the digestion power of the body. This point can prevent diabetes.
- It can prevent aging and weakness for which it is commonly used in China. The functions of this point include aiding in nearly all digestive and weakness issues, building the "wei-qi" which is the loose equivalent to our immunity to colds/flus and other infections, the strengthening of our blood (a strong part of our overall immunity).
- It also helps in curing problems with the breasts (distention, lactation), pain in the lower leg, aids the lungs in conditions such as asthma and wheezing, and serves to balance a range of psychological issues such as depression and anxiety.
- This point can also be used to treat tonsils,rheumatism,appendicitis,fatigue,headache etc.
- This point is very effective for stomach distress but more importantly for this post, it is also beneficial to strengthen the whole body and tone muscles in your legs.
- To reduce menstrual cramps: you should first gently examine ST 36 area. If the muscles there are tight, then pressing deeply and strongly with your thumb will help reduce the cramping and pain.
- The combination of Li 11 and St 36 is used extensively to treat hypertension. Excess sitting can damage the stomach and spleen meridians, which can contribute to anemia or digestive disorders. Stimulate the St 36 on the outsides of your calves to benefit these meridians.
How to Apply Pressure?
Apply moderate to firm pressure on St 36. Hold the pressure for one minute. This point can also be stimulated either with the heel of your opposite foot, or with your fingers. Place your right heel on the Three Mile point (St 36) of your left leg and briskly rub it up and down on the outside of your shinbone, just below your knee. After one minute, do the same on the other side.
Don’t forget to drink water at the end of your exercise session or any time you begin to feel thirsty.
Caution: If you have or have had problems with your kidneys, please consult your physician.
First published at 'Factoidz'
More related articles:
* Acupressure Therapy for Emotional Health
* Popular Acupressure Points Everybody Should Know to Treat Common Diseases
* Do's and Dont's of Acupressure Therapy