We can improve our brain health. First let's have a look at some theories about use of brain to see that we can do better by proper use of our brain skills.
** We have shown that working memory can be improved by training” – Dr. Torkel Klingberg, Professor at Karolinska Institute, and Director of the Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Lab, part of the Stockholm Brain Institute
** “Learning is physical. Learning means the modification, growth, and pruning of our neurons, connections–called synapses– and neuronal networks, through experience...we are cultivating our own neuronal networks.”- Dr. James Zull, Professor of Biology and Biochemistry at Case Western University.
** “Exercising our brains systematically ways is as important as exercising our bodies. In my experience, “Use it or lose it” should really be “Use it and get more of it”.- Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg, neuropsychologist, clinical professor of neurology at New York University School of Medicine, and disciple of the great neuropsychologist Alexander Luria.
** “Individuals who lead mentally stimulating lives, through education, occupation and leisure activities, have reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s symptoms. Studies suggest that they have 35-40% less risk of manifesting the disease”- Dr. Yaakov Stern, Division Leader of the Cognitive Neuroscience Division of the Sergievsky Center at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
** What research has shown is that cognition, or what we call thinking and performance, is really a set of skills that we can train systematically." - Dr. Daniel Gopher, Professor of Cognitive Psychology and Human Factors Engineering at Technion Institute of Science.
** There are four important pillars which can help in improving our brain health and as a result get most of our mind skills.
1- Physical Exercise
2- Mental Exercise
3- Good Nutrition
4- Stress Management
* Start by talking to your doctor, especially if you are not currently physically active, have special health concerns, or are making significant changes to your current program.
* Set a goal that you can achieve. Do something you enjoy for even just 15 minutes a day. You can always add more time and activities later.
Schedule exercise into your daily routine. It will be become a habit faster if you do.
* Do something cardiovascular, meaning something that gets your heart beating faster. This includes walking, running, skiing, swimming, biking, hiking, tennis, basketball, playing tag, ultimate Frisbee, and other similar sports/activities.
* Do a variety of things, including things you aren't good at (if you like to sing, try painting too)
* Work puzzles like crosswords and sudoku or play games like chess and bridge
* Try a computerized brain fitness program for a customized workout
* Learn something new every day.
* Eat a variety of foods of different colors without a lot of added ingredients or processes.
* Plan your meals around your vegetables, and then add fruit, protein, dairy, and/or grains
* Add some cold-water fish to your diet (tuna, salmon, mackerel, halibut, sardines, and herring) which contain omega-3 fatty acids.
* Learn what a portion-size is, so you don't overeat
* Try to eat more foods low on the Glycemic Index
* Eat more vegetables, particularly leafy green ones.
* Get regular cardiovascular exercise
* Try to get enough sleep each night
* Keep connected with your friends and family
* Practice meditation, yoga, or some other calming activity as way to take a relaxing time-out (maybe a bath)
* Try training with a heart rate variability sensor, like the one in emWave (formerly known as Freeze-Framer)
* Set aside 5-10 minutes to just breathe deeply and recharge
Source Link: Easy steps to improve your brain health
Quotes are a way of giving ourselves motivation and encouragement. Here are some motivational quotes, which may give you an understanding...
With the symptoms of a stiff painful neck, my shoulder pain was getting severe with tingling and numbness feeling in my arms. I was feeling ...
There is no scientific or medical study regarding the harmful or good effects of drinking ice cold water, but in alternative therapies like ...
I read a lot and although I didn't study psychology as a subject at college, but I like to read and learn about self help, self improvem...
There are many reasons behind selection of organic or natural products. There is no exception when it comes to milk and milk products. It is...
Auricular therapy (Acupressure therapy of the ear region) has been used successfully for Smoking cessation. Auriculotherapy is thought to be...
Tongue twisters are the words or phrases in repeated manner for the practice of specific letters or sounds. These tongue exercises are meant...
Definition of net addiction: Internet addiction is currently classified by mental health professionals as an Obsessive Compulsive Disorde...