Eyes, like all other organs, need certain vitamins to stay healthy and work well into our later years. Proper nutrition and a good eye vitamin formula is vital for healthy eyes and may play an important role in the fight against cataracts and macular degeneration. Certain eye vitamins can literally decrease your chances of getting an age-related eye disease by 25%.*
Why we need effective eye vitamins?
As we age, the importance of vitamins increases drastically for a couple of reasons. Our body starts to naturally get tired from working for so many years, and needs more vitamins and nutrients to keep it working healthily and properly. Second, our body tends to have a harder time digesting and processing the vitamins that we do get in our regular diet. This is why people over the age of 50 need to take vitamins even if they have healthy eating habits. Lastly, there are some vitamins and nutrients that help prevent the eye from certain age-related eye diseases, and that are not found in many common foods. This is why you should consider taking vitamins for eye health well before you reach middle age.
Can certain eyesight problems, such as age related visual decline, be reversed or improved?
If you're looking for ways to improve eye health, the American Academy of Ophthalmologists (AAO) recommends eating foods high in beta-carotene, Vitamins C and E, zeaxanthin, lutein, Omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and zinc. Research has shown that these nutrients can protect the eyes from damage caused by free radicals and oxidative stress. Herbs like gingko and bilberry have been used to treat various eye problems. However, according to the National Institute of Health's National Library of Medicine (NLM), there is not enough scientific research to prove their effectiveness.
Eyesight vitamins, various herbs and nutrients have a positive effect on eyesight. Supplements may not to be very helpful in serious and advanced eye disorders, but they play an important role in mild to moderate cases of visual decline that occurs normally with the aging process.
Supplements that support healthy vision
The lens, retina, macula, and other parts of the eye involved in eyesight can be protected with the proper intake of antioxidants. Almost all the antioxidants likely have a positive influence on eye health, including vitamin C, Vitamin E, and alpha lipoic acid.
The two major categories are carotenoids and polyphenols, substances in herbs, fruits and vegetables that are good for eye health.
Vitamins and Minerals For Eyes:
Vitamin A : Improves night vision. Food Source for vitamin A is dark green leafy vegetables, carrots, spinach, broccoli, eggs, cheese and butter are also great sources.
Vitamins and Minerals For Eyes:
Vitamin B complex is good to reduce redness in eyes and can help eyes that are sensitive to light. Food Sources for vitamins B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12 (cobalamin): pastas, breads, milk, dark green vegetables, mushrooms, tuna, nuts, avocados, bananas, liver.
Carotene allows the formation of visual purple in the eyes, which helps improve weak eyes. A good source of carotene is: carrots, broccoli, cabbage and peas.
(Source: Vitamins & Herbs For Healthy Eyes)
Rebecca Prescott at 'Buzzle' suggests: Top 6 Vitamins And Herbs For Eye Health
These 6 vitamins, herbs, and phytonutrients help alleviate the problem of sore, dry eyes, and maintain good vision:
1. Bilberry - Bilberry is a herb used for both gastrointestinal and eye health. The active ingredients are called anthocyanosides, which are a type of flavanoid. Anthocyanosides are antioxidants that help improve the flow of blood through the capillaries in eyes. They help eyes adjust quickly to changes in light, and improve sharpness of vision.
Bilberry has also been shown to be effective in stopping the progression of cataracts when taken with vitamin E. It's also used to treat diabetic retinopathy, and macular degeneration.
2. Vitamin A - Vitamin A is important for good night vision, and may play a role in preventing cataracts.
3. Grapeseed - Grapeseed is good for the peripheral circulation in our eyes. It also strengthens the capillaries.
4. Eyebright - Eyebright makes a great eye home remedy. Steep it in hot water to let the herb infuse, then remove the herb and cool the remaining liquid. You could put it in the freezer to cool it down quickly if you don't have any infused eyebright on hand in the fridge. Once its cool, use it as an eye bath, or a compress. It's great for sore eyes, and has an anti-inflammatory and soothing action.
5. Omega 3 Fatty Acids - Research from Harvard Medical school has found that taking omega 3 oils reduces the chance of getting dry eyes. Try taking 3 to 6 grams of a good quality fish oil supplement daily.
6. Lutein - Lutein is one example of a type of plant nutrient known as carotenoids. Better known examples include beta carotene and alpha carotene. Carotenoids are responsible for giving fruit and vegetables their distinctive colors, and the brightness of a fruit or vegetable is a good indicator of how much carotenoids it has in it. Those with a rich color have a higher concentration.
Lutein, beta, and alpha carotene are converted by the body into vitamin A. And lutein is found in very high concentrations in the macula of the eye. Lutein is used to help prevent macular degeneration, which is a big problem for people over 40 years of age. Macular degeneration can lead to blindness. Lutein is thought to work as an antioxidant in this capacity.
Quotes are a way of giving ourselves motivation and encouragement. Here are some motivational quotes, which may give you an understanding...
With the symptoms of a stiff painful neck, my shoulder pain was getting severe with tingling and numbness feeling in my arms. I was feeling ...
There is no scientific or medical study regarding the harmful or good effects of drinking ice cold water, but in alternative therapies like ...
I read a lot and although I didn't study psychology as a subject at college, but I like to read and learn about self help, self improvem...
Auricular therapy (Acupressure therapy of the ear region) has been used successfully for Smoking cessation. Auriculotherapy is thought to be...
There are many reasons behind selection of organic or natural products. There is no exception when it comes to milk and milk products. It is...
Acupressure points K27 are located below the collarbone and are called 'energy buttons' as they are meant to boost your natural ener...
Tongue twisters are the words or phrases in repeated manner for the practice of specific letters or sounds. These tongue exercises are meant...