Either you adopt the acupressure therapy for diagnosis purpose or self healing you need to know correct massage techniques for better and quick results. These techniques are equally beneficial for beginners or regular practictioner of acupressure therapy.
Hand Massage Techniques
1. Rubbing: Begin by briskly rubbing your hands (palms) together to warm them up and generate energy (qi) in them. Also rub the back of each hand (including fingers) with the palm of the other hand.
2. Squeezing: Use your thumbpad and outside edge of your index finger to squeeze each finger and thumb on the other hand, one by one, from base to tip. Use firm but not painful pressure. Do this 2-3 times per finger/thumb.
3. Pulling: Use your thumbpad and the outside edge of your index finger to grasp the base of each finger and thumb on the other hand, one by one, then quickly pull down towards the tip while maintaining firm but not painful pressure. Do this 2-3 times per finger/thumb.
4. Pressing: Use the tip of your thumbnail to press and stimulate points on the opposite hand. Use this printable hand reflexology chart to locate common hand pressure points. Apply vertical pressure to each point with your thumbnail (or sometimes your fingernail). Press until you feel no more than a comfortable pain. Hold the pressure and knead the point with very small circular movements. Do this for 1-2 minutes per point. Repeat 1-2 times a day.
Choosing Points for Pressing
If you haven't already, download a copy of the printable hand reflexology chart (see above link) first. All hand pressure points are bilateral, i.e. they're located on both hands. Generally, you would massage 3 or 4 points (on both hands), 1-2 times a day. Hand pressure points do adapt to stimulation though, so after 7 days stop for 3 or 4 days. If your condition and symptoms persist, continue for another week (or more), OR choose new points to press and rub.
Hand Reflexology Contraindications
The main hand reflexology contraindications are as follows:
* Pregnancy, especially in the later stages. Pressing some hand points can cause uterine contractions. Unless you are experienced with hand massage it's best to avoid it during pregnancy, or to consult a qualified massage therapist or acupuncturist
* Use carefully or not at all in potential surgical conditions such as acute appendicitis
* Don't do it on broken skin or if there are infected sores or lesions on the hands
Download link: printable-hand-reflexology-chart.pdf
More useful links:
* How to Do Self-Massage
Quotes are a way of giving ourselves motivation and encouragement. Here are some motivational quotes, which may give you an understanding...
With the symptoms of a stiff painful neck, my shoulder pain was getting severe with tingling and numbness feeling in my arms. I was feeling ...
There is no scientific or medical study regarding the harmful or good effects of drinking ice cold water, but in alternative therapies like ...
I read a lot and although I didn't study psychology as a subject at college, but I like to read and learn about self help, self improvem...
There are many reasons behind selection of organic or natural products. There is no exception when it comes to milk and milk products. It is...
Auricular therapy (Acupressure therapy of the ear region) has been used successfully for Smoking cessation. Auriculotherapy is thought to be...
Tongue twisters are the words or phrases in repeated manner for the practice of specific letters or sounds. These tongue exercises are meant...
Acupressure points K27 are located below the collarbone and are called 'energy buttons' as they are meant to boost your natural ener...