Sunday, June 7, 2009
Food poisoning and how to protect from it?
Food poisoning can effect any body, anytime but we can protect ourselves by learning the causes, and symptoms to fight it. You can search for the topic and get details about 'food poising' from any health related site, but this post would help you learn some basics of it, while providing some useful links to read more about the topic.
"Food poisoning is an acute gastroenteritis caused by the consumption of a food material or a drink which contains the pathogenic micro organism or their toxins or poisonous chemicals.:
A group of persons will be affected with same type of symptoms ,and they give a history of consumption of a common food before few hours.
Types of food poisoning
1) Bacterial food poisoning:
Here the micro organisms called bacteria are responsible.The food material may contain the pathogenic bacteria or their toxin and will be ingested along with the food.
2) Non bacterial food poisoning:
Due to the presence of toxic chemicals like fertilizers,insecticides,heavy metals and etc.
Bacterial food poisoning:
All bacteria are not harmful.There are some pathogenic bacteria which secrete toxins and cause clinical manifestations.These organisms enter the human body through food articles or drinks.
How food poisoning occurs:
1) Presence of bacteria in the water.
2) The raw materials for the food may contain toxins.
3) Premises where the food is prepared may contain micro organisms or toxins.
4) Food handlers may have some infectious diseases.
5) Some animals like dogs,rats may contaminate the food.
6) If prepared food is kept in the room temperature for a long time and heated again can make a chance for food poisoning.
7) Purposely some body mixing toxins in the food.
How to investigate food poisoning?
1) Examine each and every person affected.
2) Water sample should be tested.
3) Kitchen, store room and food samples should be examined.
4) The cook and food handlers should be questioned and examined.
5) Samples of vomitus and stool of all victims should be tested to identify the bacteria.
How to prevent food poisoning:-
1) Only purified water should be used.
2) Hygiene should be maintained by all persons keeping contact with food.
3) Workers should use masks, cap and gloves during cooking and serving.
4) Sick individuals should not come in contact with food materials.
5) Kitchen and premises should be neat and clean.
5) Vessels should be washed with soap and hot water.
6) Should not keep the prepared food for a long time in room temperature.
7) All food materials should be kept in closed containers.
8) Animals like dog, cat, rat etc should not come in contact with food materials.
9) Vegetables should be washed before cooking.
10) Meat should be fresh and should be purchased from recognized slaughter house.
Useful and related sites and articles:
* 'Food poisoning,causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment' from "E Medicine Health"
* Food Poisoning and Safe Food Handling
Quotes are a way of giving ourselves motivation and encouragement. Here are some motivational quotes, which may give you an understanding...
With the symptoms of a stiff painful neck, my shoulder pain was getting severe with tingling and numbness feeling in my arms. I was feeling ...
There is no scientific or medical study regarding the harmful or good effects of drinking ice cold water, but in alternative therapies like ...
I read a lot and although I didn't study psychology as a subject at college, but I like to read and learn about self help, self improvem...
There are many reasons behind selection of organic or natural products. There is no exception when it comes to milk and milk products. It is...
Auricular therapy (Acupressure therapy of the ear region) has been used successfully for Smoking cessation. Auriculotherapy is thought to be...
Tongue twisters are the words or phrases in repeated manner for the practice of specific letters or sounds. These tongue exercises are meant...
Definition of net addiction: Internet addiction is currently classified by mental health professionals as an Obsessive Compulsive Disorde...