Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Tips to keep you safe from back pain
Working for long hours beside computers at home or at office is a part of our life but if we don't care about our sitting posture, we can get back or shoulder pain. I am one of those people who work for whole day (half day teaching and sitting for some intervals at chair and half day in front of computer) resulting in aching back and shoulders. I am not alone with these symptoms:
- Every year, 100’s of Millions of people suffer from back pain.
- Between 2 - 6 million Americans suffer serious back pain every year.
At some point in their lives, 4 out of 5 adults will suffer a pain severe enough to warrant medical care.
For many years, surgery was often performed on sufferers. However, surgery has come to be increasingly viewed as ineffective and unneccesary.
Back pain can arise from a number of conditions. The symptoms generally are sharp pain or numbness most often occurring in the lower back or neck causing reduced function and mobility. Common causes can be strained muscle/ligament as a result of lifting or awkward movements or a herniated disk that applies pressure to a nerve. But the prevention is the best way to keep away from this discomfort condition.
The University of Maryland Medical Center has provided these tips to help you safe from back pain:
TIPS to keep you safe from back pain
- Pay attention to your posture, whether you're standing or sitting. Make sure your ears, shoulders and hips all line up.
- Avoid standing for long periods. If you must stand, use a stool and alternate resting each foot on it.
- Wear comfortable, cushioned shoes without heels if you walk a lot.
- Choose a straight-backed, adjustable chair with armrests and a swivel seat for your desk chair.
- Prop your feet up below your desk, so your knees are elevated above your hips.
- Roll up a towel or place a pillow at your lower back while sitting at your desk.
* Exercises for Back Pain
* Back pain treatment
* Osteomedtreat.in provides information about back pain.
Quotes are a way of giving ourselves motivation and encouragement. Here are some motivational quotes, which may give you an understanding...
With the symptoms of a stiff painful neck, my shoulder pain was getting severe with tingling and numbness feeling in my arms. I was feeling ...
There is no scientific or medical study regarding the harmful or good effects of drinking ice cold water, but in alternative therapies like ...
I read a lot and although I didn't study psychology as a subject at college, but I like to read and learn about self help, self improvem...
Auricular therapy (Acupressure therapy of the ear region) has been used successfully for Smoking cessation. Auriculotherapy is thought to be...
There are many reasons behind selection of organic or natural products. There is no exception when it comes to milk and milk products. It is...
Acupressure points K27 are located below the collarbone and are called 'energy buttons' as they are meant to boost your natural ener...
Tongue twisters are the words or phrases in repeated manner for the practice of specific letters or sounds. These tongue exercises are meant...